Tips from your South Holland, IL Family Dentist for a successful dental visit!
Children are not born with dental fears! They are formed through parents and media placing the idea that children should be afraid of the dentist. To help ease your child’s fear, or prevent fears from forming, here are 8 tips from your South Holland, IL Family Dentist.
1.Go to the dentist when your child first gets a tooth! By starting your visits to our office early, your child will have years of good experiences and become acclimated to visiting the dentist.
2. Stop by our office BEFORE the first visit. If your child has a chance to meet us before their first visit, they are bound to be less stressed when it is their turn.
3. If possible, schedule an appointment for a time when your child will be well rested and alert.
4.Talk about the dentist for a few days prior in positive ways, using words such as ‘friend.’ This positive association will help your child during their visit.
5. Avoid using potentially ‘scary’ words. The first visit will be more about doing a checkup and getting the child comfortable with visiting the dentist. ‘Hurt’ will only be a part of their dental vocabulary if you make it one.
6.Consider watching videos or reading books that portray good dental visits, before your child’s first visit.
7. Write down questions for your South Holland dentist. Sometimes during the visits, patients and their parents can get a bit frazzled! If you have your questions written down, it will help!
8. Schedule and maintain regular dental visits. Visiting the dentist twice each year will help your child form a relationship with our office, instill healthy habits, and also prevent any future cavities or issues.
If your child is ready for their first dental visit, be sure to schedule a visit with your South Holland, IL family dentist by calling (708) 849-8627 or clicking HERE. We look forward to being your dental home!